Wednesday, March 18, 2009

HMAS OTWAY


Driving through the Southern New South Wales town of Holbrook last weekend I couldn't help but notice the town's main attraction. Eerily rising out of the ground under a dark stormy sky the Oberon-class HMAS Otway undoubtedly makes every weary traveler shake their head twice for fear they have just drifted off into one of Dr Karl's much publicised micro-sleeps.

This piece of Australian naval history has had pride of place in the centre of Holbrook since it was decommissioned by the Australian Navy and donated to the town in 1995 and certainly makes for a fantastic photo opportunity. Fellow photographer Greg Stevens and I spent the best part of three-quarters of an hour climbing all over and around this massive boat taking all kinds of shots and while some of the artistic angles I captured make for great photos my favourite is definitely this simple shot. The storm clouds above the boat just grab the eye and remind me of massive waves and I can't help but get the feeling that the HMAS Otway is about to burst out of it's concrete moorings and take to the waves.

For those of you who may be wondering there is a logical reason why a small inland NSW town would stick a 90 meter submarine in their main park. After a quick google search I found that the town's original name Germanton was seen as unpatriotic during World War I and in 1915 it was changed and the town renamed after decorated wartime submarine captain Lt Norman Douglas Holbrook.

So there you have it, I wouldn't have thought Holbrook in southern New South Wales would be the place to go for a piece of Australian naval history but if your down that way it's worth a look.

Liam Saville

No comments:

Post a Comment